How we Started
We are a non-profit group based in Delta, BC, Canada. We started as a small group of very concerned parents of children with developmental disabilities. Many of our children have received services and attended programs offered by the Reach Child and Youth Development Society in Ladner.
As our children moved into adulthood, we became concerned about housing issues.
- Where would our children live when we could no longer care for them?
- Who would provide a home for them?
In 2016, we did a survey of adults with intellectual disabilities who were living in Delta. We learned that 83% of the respondents were living with family and 90% wanted to stay in Delta.
Who we Represent Now
We have continued to advocate for adults with intellectual disabilities. Our focus has expanded to include low income seniors living in Delta. These two populations have similar housing requirements.
- They need stable, low cost rental accommodations.
- If they are isolated, without people checking on them, they are at high risk.
- Housing that provides them with social connections and support will allow them to thrive.
We want to network for housing solutions in Delta. This means educating our leaders about the needs. It means advocating for people who can’t advocate for themselves. We want to help shape the future of Delta.